The Democratic Party

of Hood County, Texas

Recycling in Hood County

October 20, 2017


TL;DR: In order to make it a bit more convenient for those Hood County residents who would like to recycle items, we’ve compiled a list of Hood County recycling resources.

Curbside Recycling

For those of you who live in the City of Granbury, curbside recycling is available from Granbury’s trash collection service, Waste Connections. If you don’t have a blue poly tote (recycling tub), call them. It usually takes 10-14 days for the tote to be delivered. Place the recycling tub within 5 feet of the curb before 7 a.m. on Wednesdays.

Acceptable Curbside Recycling Items:

  • Plastic bottles with lids removed
  • Aluminum and metal cans
  • Newspapers
  • Junk mail
  • Catalogs
  • Cardboard (must be broken down and bundled)

Unacceptable Curbside Recycling Items:

  • Glass
  • Aluminum foil
  • Packing peanuts and Styrofoam
  • Pizza boxes
  • Aerosol cans
  • Paint, solvent, cleaner, or thinner cans
  • Rubber hoses
  • Pool chemicals
  • Diapers
  • Plastic toys or furniture

Bulk Trash Pick-Up Day

The City of Granbury, in partnership with Waste Connections of Texas, is planning a bulk trash pickup day for those who live within the Granbury city limits on Saturday, October 21. Note that there is a six-item limit for this pickup. Items may be placed outside the night before, but must be curbside no later than 7 a.m. on October 21. Trucks will complete their routes by 1 p.m. Call 800-350-3024 or 817-573-1114 for more information.

Acceptable Bulk Trash Items:

  • Refrigerators, freezers, and a/c units with certification of Freon reclamation
  • Furniture
  • Appliances
  • Limbs (must be cut and bundled in 4-foot lengths)

Unacceptable Bulk Trash Items:

  • Tires
  • Paint
  • Oils
  • Liquids

Used Prescription Disposal

The Hood County Sheriff’s Office offers residents a safe way to dispose of used or old prescription medications. Simply gather the prescription medications that have expired or are no longer used, place them in a plastic bag, and bring them to the Sheriff’s Office. There is a white drop-off box in the parking lot. County residents can place their prescriptions in the secure white box 7 days a week. Sergeant Miller asks that residents not drop off inhalers because they explode in the incinerators. Simply pump them down and dispose of them in your regular garbage. If you have syringe vials or a large quantity of drugs, please bring them inside to Sgt. Miller’s office; he’s there Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Saturday, October 28 is National Drug Takeback Day. Residents can take their prescription medications to the Sheriff’s Department from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m and speak with an expert from the DEA. For more information on the DEA’s National Prescription Drug Take Back Day, visit their website.

Brush Disposal

According to the county website, brush disposal is handled by the sheriff’s office. Please contact them for information about hours of operation and acceptable materials.

Another source claims that brush is collected by a facility operated by the Hood County Road Operations Department. Its address is 1510 Weatherford Highway, and it’s open on Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Call 817-579-3304 for more information about this option.

Hazardous Waste Disposal

At this time, there is no in-county drop-off site or pickup day for hazardous waste. So, for Hood County residents, disposing of hazardous waste is a two-step process. First, you’ll have to acquire a voucher from the Hood County Environmental Health Office. (Note that vouchers are limited; the county is only given 200 per year.) Then, you’ll have to take the voucher, along with the hazardous waste, to the Fort Worth Environmental Collection Center.

NOTE: Because vouchers are limited, the county is asking residents who wish to dispose of paint to purchase paint hardener at any hardware store, to follow the instructions on the paint hardener, and then to throw away the hardened paint via the regular garbage.

Electronics Disposal

Although a few HOAs offer electronics disposal for their residents, there are no Hood County or Granbury electronics drop-off days. However, the Hood County Citizens Collection Station offers a paid solution: for a fixed amount per item or per vehicle-load, they will dispose of a variety of items, including electronics. Their services are for Hood County residents only, so you will be asked for proof of residency (driver’s license or other form of ID). For more information about the kinds of things that the Collection Station will accept, go here.

We hope that you find this information to be helpful. We are committed to being good environmental stewards, and recycling is a big part of that.

Images: source